As we age, the smooth, soft facial skin of our youth can become dry and porous. The fine lines and wrinkles that so often appear do more than just give away our age; they can actually make us look years older than we really are. The face is constantly battered by the elements in our daily life; then the skin is further aggravated by excessive sun exposure, stress, smoking, genetics, and even the simple pull of gravity. No matter the amount of expensive lotions that are applied, once the delicate skin of the face has been damaged, it can be extremely difficult to reverse.
For years, there have been only a few options for patients seeking a healthier look for their skin. Dermabrasion and Chemical Peels have offered hope, but they come with a high risk of scarring, pigment problems, and severe discomfort, as well as a long recovery period. Thanks to modern technology, we now have the ability to dramatically reduce unwanted lines and wrinkles with an in-office procedure called Laser Skin Resurfacing or Laser Exfoliation.
CO2 Laser Resurfacing at Chernoff Cosmetic Surgery
Dr. Chernoff and his expertly trained research team have quickly become global leaders in Laser Exfoliation procedures. They have been instrumental in the creation of efficient tools and techniques for skin resurfacing and have refined the laser parameters accepted by physicians worldwide.
By combining advances in science and cutting-edge medical skincare, the Chernoff Team can both safely and efficiently use lasers to dramatically reduce wrinkles and creases on the face. Their state-of-the-art Laser Exfoliating techniques utilize the most advanced technology; providing the best results, fastest recovery, and the lowest risk of pigment problems and scarring.
For an optimal outcome, Dr. Chernoff will often combine CO2 laser resurfacing with other procedures such as a facelift, neck lift, brow lift and eyelid surgery.
The CO2 Laser Resurfacing Procedure
During the consultation appointment with Dr. Chernoff in Indianapolis or Santa Rosa, an appropriate skin resurfacing plan will be developed according to the client’s skin type and aesthetic desires. This will be discussed in full, as well as what to expect from the recovery period. The Laser Resurfacing procedure will be performed using either a twilight sedation or general anesthetic. For deeper lines or uneven skin texture, a carbon dioxide or CO2 laser will be utilized. A hand-piece will be passed over the skin, emitting millisecond long pulses of concentrated laser light into the epidermis and mid-dermis of the skin. These quick blasts will eliminate the damaged top layer of skin, as well as stimulate new collagen formation. Wrinkles, fine lines, and scars are eradicated as the existing protein and dense elastic fibers are decreased. The results can range from subtle to dramatic, depending on the desires of a specific patient.
What to Expect After a Laser Resurfacing Treatment
Patients will wake after their Laser Resurfacing Treatment with a facial dressing, which is usually left on for the first night. When removed the next day, the skin will have a sun-burned appearance. This will last from four to seven days, depending on the depth of exfoliation performed. During this time, care of the skin is essential. The patient must clean their face with saline-soaked gauze and sponges and keep the area moist with a specialized gel developed by Dr. Chernoff.
In four to seven days, a new layer of skin will appear on the face. Once this occurs, patients are ready to return to a normal routine, as well as to once again wear make-up. There may be a slight redness to the skin, which may last several months depending on the natural condition of a patient’s skin, the depth of the peel, and the specific laser used. Dr. Chernoff’s team of expertly trained aestheticians and make-up artists will professionally assist you in camouflaging discoloration during the healing process. Over the weeks and months that follow, patients notice continuous improvement in their skin tone and overall quality.
To learn more about Laser Resurfacing in Indianapolis or Santa Rosa, contact us!
Triple Board Certified by the American Society for Plastic Surgery, Dr. Chernoff is widely considered the best cosmetic surgeon in the Indiana area. A leader in aesthetic skin rejuvenation, the research performed by Dr. Chernoff and his team have changed the way other physicians practice laser skin restoration procedures. Doctors worldwide routinely seek out advice and instruction from Dr. Chernoff on his unique Laser Exfoliation techniques. Make a call to Chernoff Cosmetic Surgery and Wellness Center at 317.573.8899 for more information on the Laser Exfoliation procedure or to set up your consultation appointment. With four conveniently located offices in California and Indiana, an appointment with the top laser skin restoration surgeon is both simple and convenient.
Dr. Chernoff’s Research & Published Literature on Laser Therapy
- Chernoff, W. Gregory Cutaneous Laser Exfoliation: A Contemporary Approach. Found in Office Based Surgery in Otolaryngology 1998, Thieme Medical, pages 285-297
- Chernoff, W. Gregory Endoscopic Brow Lifting Video Atlas of Cosmetic Blepharoplasty – Surgical Approaches 1996.
- Chernoff, W. Gregory Consensus and Controversies in Aesthetic Laser Therapy. Current Opinion on Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, 2000, #8: pages 321-325.
- Chernoff, W. Gregory The Photopeel™ Laser Toning System Utilizing the Coherent Versapulse for Non-ablative Facial Rejuvenation
- Chernoff, W. Gregory Non-ablative Dermal Remodeling with a 1320 nm. Nd:YAG Laser.
- Chernoff, W. Gregory Non-ablative Collagen Remodeling Utilizing a Long Pulsed Nd:YAG Laser.
- Chernoff, W. Gregory Dermal Remodeling of Acne Scars with 1320 nm YAG Laser – A New Approach.
- Chernoff, W. Gregory Long pulsed Nd:YAG Therapy for Pseudofolliculitis Barbae
- Chernoff, W. Gregory Cutaneous Laser Exfoliation, Lasers in Aesthetic Surgery, Thieme publication 2001, pages 67-77
- Chernoff, W. Gregory Non-exfoliative Laser Rejuvenation of Facial Rhytids, found in Lasers in Aesthetic Surgery 2001, Thieme, pages 139-151
- Chernoff, W. Gregory Treatment of Stretch Marks, found in Lasers in Aesthetic Surgery, Thieme publication 2001, pages 296-303.
- Chernoff, W. Gregory Skin Resurfacing Utilizing Bipolar Cautery, found in Lasers in Aesthetic Surgery, Thieme publication 2001, pages 347-351.
- Chernoff WG: Cutaneous Laser Resurfacing. International Journal of Aesthetic and Restorative Surgery Vol. III, #1 – June, 1995.
- Chernoff WG, Schoenrock LD: Cutaneous UltraPulse Laser Resurfacing of Eyelids International Journal of Aesthetic and Restorative Surgery Vol. III, #1 – June, 1995.
- Chernoff WG: Cutaneous Laser Resurfacing Utilizing Ultrapulse Technology Clinical Laser Monthly – Feb. 1995
- Chernoff WG: The Role of Glucocorticosteroids in Adenotonsillectomy Patients. Laryng. – February, 1995
- Chernoff WG: Segmental Biopsy and Q-Switched Ruby Laser Treatment of Pigmented Lesion International Journal of Aesthetic and Restorative Surgery Vol. II, #2 – December, 1994.
- Chernoff WG: Cutaneous Laser Resurfacing Clinical Laser Monthly – Dec. 1994
- Chernoff WG: Mixed Laser Therapy for the Treatment of Head and Neck Conditions – Current, 1993
- Chernoff WG: “Laserbrasion”. A Precise Depth Control Exfoliation Technique – Current, 1993