Expert Scar Treatment in Indianapolis, IN
Most people at some point in their lives have had a scar. A scar is a mark left on the skin after a wound or injury has healed. While most scars eventually fade or become lighter over time they never completely disappear. There are a variety of different types of scars, of which some have a more unattractive appearance.
At Chernoff Cosmetic Surgery in Indianapolis, IN, Dr. Greg Chernoff offers the latest advancements and comprehensive treatment options for improving the appearance of scars. Dr. Chernoff has extensive experience treating all types of scars and all levels of severity including acne scars, surgical scars, burn scars, accident scars, or scars from diseases like chicken pox. Dr. Chernoff uses combinations of minimally invasive lasers, personalized cellular therapy, and injectable therapy.
Prior to any treatment or procedure, Dr. Chernoff or one of our trained and certified Health Care Providers determine if you are a candidate, review the risks and benefits, and provide all possible treatment alternatives.
Dr. Chernoff Has Worked Miracles on My Scar
I highly recommend Dr. Chernoff and Associates. Dr. Chernoff and his entire staff are wonderful. They are personable and empathetic. I am thankful that my friend told me about Dr. Chernoff. Dr. Chernoff has worked miracles on my scar. Rest assured that if you receive a service from Dr. Chernoff he will do excellent work!- K.L.
What Are The Different Types of Scars?
Scars are a natural part of the healing process resulting from an abnormal overgrowth of tissue. Scars can leave a red-raised mark, a fine line or a pitted hole on the skin. The different types of scars include:
- Normal fine-line scars
A minor cut will usually heal which will gradually get paler and flatter over time. Fine-line scars are common following an injury or after surgery leaving a raised pale scar. On darker skin, the scar tissue may fade to leave a brown or white mark.
- Keloid scars
A keloid scar is a special type of scar that results from an overgrowth of tissue that occurs when too much collagen is produced at the site of the wound. For some people, the keloid scar keeps growing. Removal of keloid scars requires specialized expertise to optimize results and minimize more damage to the skin. Learn more about treatment for keloid scars.
- Hypertrophic scars
Hypertrophic scars are also the result of excess collagen being produced at the site of a wound or injury but not as much overgrowth of tissue is produced as compared with keloid scars. Also, hypertrophic scars don't extend beyond the boundary of the original wound, but they may continue to thicken for up to six months.
- Pitted or sunken scars (Atrophic scars)
Some scars caused by skin conditions, such as acne and illnesses such as chickenpox can cause scars that have a pitted or sunken appearance.
- Stretch Marks
Stretch marks are long, narrow streaks or stripes that occur when the skin is stretched too quickly. Learn more about stretch mark treatments.
What Types of Treatments Are Available
At Chernoff Cosmetic Surgery in Indianapolis, IN, Dr. Chernoff uses a multi-modality approach to improving scars. Complex and deep scars may require surgical revision as well as non-surgical therapies (injectable, laser, and cellular) during the scar revision and healing process.
We are equipped to treat all levels and types of scars, including acne scars, keloids, surgical and/or trauma scores, or scars left behind by diseases like chickenpox. The type and level of treatment depend on the depth and severity of the scar and the patient’s desired aesthetic goals.
Scar treatments include:
- Salt Therapy and Chemical Peels improve shallow scars and promote even skin tone.
- Laser resurfacing – Fractionated CO2 DOT laser treatment removes the outer layer of the skin and stimulates collagen production. Dr. Chernoff will combine different laser therapies to achieve optimal results. Dr. Chernoff may also recommend alternating treatments using Aerolase and other collagen-stimulating lasers to improve the color and texture of scars.
- Growth Factor Treatments to stimulate normal healthy tissue that improves the appearance of the scar.
- Microneedling and Radiofrequency Microneedling RF – Chernoff Cosmetic Surgery offers traditional Microneedling and advanced Microneedling with RadioFrequency that improves scars for all types of skin pigment.
- Skin Healing therapy – Innovative therapy, utilizing the topical growth factors to enhance the natural healing process of your skin and to stimulate the restoration of your skin’s cells.
- Facial Injections – Dermal fillers are used to improve the appearance of indented scars. Learn more about the Juvéderm collection of facial fillers.
- Subscision is a technique that releases depressed scar tissue from the underlying tissue to improve the appearance of the scar. Most often, Dr. Chernoff will use submission for certain types of acne scars. Not all types of acne scars will respond to subscision. In most cases, Dr. Chernoff will use a combination approach that utilizes a multi-modality approach that combines all the treatments for scar improvement to achieve optimal results.
Scar Improvement Q&A
Below are frequently asked questions for scar improvement performed at Chernoff Cosmetic Surgery for the following types of scars: Acne Scars, Surgical Scars, Burn Scars, Injury Scars, and Stretch Marks.
For patients with Keloid Scars, please read about keloid removal at Chernoff Cosmetic Surgery to read about Dr. Chernoff’s innovative technique to remove keloid scars with a 98% rate of non-reoccurrence.